It is definitely a good idea to sit down with a real estate agent and ask them a few questions before you hire them.
This will ensure that you both fully understand the job that will be performed and will give you some insight on whether or not your agent will do a satisfactory job for you. Here are some good questions to ask your proposed agent:
1. How long have you been in the real estate business?
This will give you some insight into their background and real estate experience.
2. What would your marketing strategy for my property be?
The answer to this question will help make sure that your agent fully understands your goals and has a detailed plan for helping you to achieve these goals.
3. What is your average listing price versus sales price ratio?
If you are selling your home you will want an agent who will negotiate a sales price as close to your listing price as possible. If you are looking to purchase a home, then you should find an agent with a high ratio of negotiating a sales price below the asking listing price. Agents with better sales to listing ratios will help you to save money.
4. Could you provide me with references?
A successful real estate agent should have a list of happy customers that they will want to share with you. You should get a minimum of 3 references before you hire an agent.
5. Do you provide me with all the documents required by this process to review? Also, what would an agreement between you and me look like?
A decent agent will have all agreements and documents available for you to review before you sign any of them. The agent should also take the time to review all documents with you and answer any of your questions.